Monday, June 4, 2007

Week #6

...a little late, but oh well...

It seems a few of the library apps we had to eXplore covered the same territory or offered the same services and, of them, GuruLib was my favorite. I used to have an inventory of my CDs and DVDs on a simple document file on my computer, but I love the way their system works and how easy it is to organize and upload information.

I was interested in what What Should I Read Next? and their film and music site This One Next had to offer, but I was fairly disappointed. Maybe I didn't work the site properly, but it was little difficult--for me anyway--to maneuver and I think you can find recommendations on other sites that work better than this one. In any case, I'm always wary of these kind of places that tell you if you like one thing that you're going to like another. I'm not necessarily against it, but I think on the whole it assumes too much of why a particular piece of art (novel, film, music album, etc.) reaches the person who enjoys it. And some places simply recommend another novel or movie for no other reason than the fact that its plot is similar, completely without regard to quality, at which point the recommendation just seems empty and pointless.

Anywho, that was my mini-rant about that. I also really like the idea behind Elf, but as I am only a member of our particular library (which also offers those services), I really had no need for it.

4 comments:

screamingamanda said...

You keep an inventory of your cd's?
I won't say any more.

screamingamanda said...

Okay, I will say more....I looked at the dvd site you were speaking of and it is was not accurate. I put in Princess Bride and it recommended things like Lord of the Rings and Pirates of the Caribbean (which I did like) and Shakespeare in love (which I will never watch). Interesting but not accurate.

Jason said...

First of all, did anyone notice that the screaming one said "it is was not accurate." I'm pretty sure that isn't, won't, and will never be grammatically accurate. I mean how does one change tense, not only within the same sentence, or even verb phrase, but within consecutive words? That's just silly.

Second of all, I said I USED to keep an inventory of my CD's. But that was before my house burned down. So, yeah, thanks for making me relive that traumatic moment. You're AWESOME!!

screamingamanda said...

I'm sorry I asked you a question about your blog. You are right I should not have shown in interest in your writing, that was silly of me. Also I am sorry that my spelling is not up to your standards. But hey at least I read your blog right?