Thursday, March 20, 2008

Tipitina, tra la la

"What is it about movies that explains
their amazing hold over the human mind?"

-- Colin McGinn, The Power of Movies


I've just finished reading an advanced reading copy of a new memoir by novelist David Gilmour called The Film Club. It chronicles the the relationship between Gilmour and his son, Jesse, who is so bad at school his father gives him the option of dropping out altogether and not even have to pay rent or for food. But he has to agree to one condition: watch three films with his father a week and discuss. The book is more a love letter to Jesse and the relationship between dads and sons than it is to film, but there are some choice passages in it that really get what it is to love movies. Not to like them, but to love them, and what it says about those who do:

Picking movies for people is a risky business. In a way it's as revealing
as writing someone a letter. It shows how you think, it shows what moves you,
sometimes it can even show how you think the world sees you.

People often say that you can define a person by what they say or by what they do or by what they believe in or their values. But I like to take a different approach. I like to define a person by their taste, by the things they like. Because, as Gilmour alludes to in the above quote, a list of things you like says as much about you as it does about those things. That goes for all art, including movies.

And so I propose a little activity. For those of you who read this and know me personally (which is almost all of you), know I work at a library (which is, again, most of you who also do). Recently we had a StoryCorps mobile booth parked outside our library, which allowed anyone on the street to tell their story, whatever it is.

What I want is for you, yes you, to tell me your story, but not in the traditional sense. I want you to tell it through the movies you love. What are the five movies that come closest to defining who and what you are? These are not the five movies you'd want if you were stranded on a deserted island. This is not a Sight & Sound list either--I don't want to know what you think the five greatest movies ever are (well, I do, but not for the purpose of this). And I'm not even asking for your five favorite movies, that's still a little different. I want the collection of movies that in some way tell your personal story. And it doesn't have to be obvious, you can be creative. If you work in a library, you don't have pick a movie about librarians or writers or books. If you're a doctor, you don't have to pick a movie set in a hospital. And you don't have to pick five... pick two, even one. I'm just curious as to what movies hit you on a personal level; what movies mean so much to you it becomes an extension of you, a part of you.

Here's one of mine, to start the discussion:

Sunset Boulevard may be Billy Wilder's best movie, Some Like it Hot may be his funniest, and Woody Allen was once quoted as saying that Double Indemnity is probably the best movie ever made. But for me The Apartment resonates the most personally. There is a scene--a moment actually--that is as good as any in Wilder's career. (I'll try to be slightly evasive as to avoid major spoilers.) It comes at about the midpoint in the movie when C.C. "Bud" Baxter (Jack Lemmon) opens a compact and sees that the mirror is broken. In a moment, his whole world has turned on a dime. Everything he knows about someone has been turned on its head. "Some people take and some people get took," a character says to him later in the film. And what I love is that the more the two leads describe their own lives, the more they are describing each other. Pain and personal anguish is as universal as it is specific and I don't know if there's a better movie I've seen in capturing that.

Okay, it's your turn... you'll get the rest when I hear some of yours.

Oh, and The Film Club comes out May 6.

5 comments:

VT said...

Hrrmm - I read this yesterday and am still mulling over my picks. For some reason I first think of the movies that have moved me most - the ones that had me bawling my eyes out; but I don't think that's what you're asking for. Or maybe it is and I've just led a very depressing life!

A movie comes to mind, it's a bit embarrassing. I haven't seen it for a long time so I’m not sure if it will hold up the next time I see it. An upcoming event in August may hold too much sway, but without further disclaimers I'll hazard: Romy & Michele's High School Reunion.

Choosing films that “[define] who and what you are” - no small feat my friend!

Closer? Or Proof? Though my life does not approach (nor would I wish for) the drama of their stories - I admire the articulacy and confidence and intelligence of their female characters. (Note the former does concern American women living in London!)

I'm now thinking of another well-spoken woman in Before Sunset... I've had no great loves in my life thus far but I can echo the disappointment of memories - of remembering people, who are given more thought than they are due. For those sentiments and others echoed my subconscious.

I’ll finish with Labyrinth – another one I chose not to explain, but this one gets no disclaimer.

Let me take a look at my movie collection and get back to you…

Jason said...

lanet,

I've never seen Romy & Michelle's so I have no opinion of it. (Although now it's totally on my list of things to see!) Knowing you and the movies you like, I can certainly see how Proof made the list. I, in fact, remember sitting next to you when you actually were "bawling [your] eyes out." What I like about it, on top of the things you said, is how it empathizes with a particular type of plight women go through, both in terms of their place in academia and the role they play within a patriarchal family dynamic.

Back to Romy & Michelle though. I think part of what I like about figuring out what movies "define" you (although I'm already starting to wish I could've used a better term) is that you and I (and everyone we know!) might be pretty surprised when we reach those particular conclusions.

One movie like that for me would be Three Kings. I walk out of a theater many times loving a movie and thinking about it for days at a time, but watching Three Kings was an almost transcendent experience. It's rare that any movie can really reach out and grab you and shake you outta your boots. But this one with all its humor, and action, and politics, and all-around kinetic energy did that for me. And yet those who know me would probably be surprised that I found such a strong connection to that movie.

And Before Sunset is great on so many levels I don't even know where to begin.

And Labyrinth? There might be a phone call headed your way :P

MSB said...

Remember the scene in Brokeback Mountain when Heath Ledger says something like, "If you can't fix it, you gotta stand it?" That movie hit me because I DO NOT want to live my life feeling like that, and yet, many times that is excatly what I have done. Shame on me.
I'll get back to you one the ones that define me and my life. This requires more thinking than I was prepared to do today.

onekoolkitty said...

Okay, so here's a start...because this is by no means a complete list. I know you weren't looking for "favorites" and despite feeling a bit like this is a cop-out, I'm choosing two of my favorites. The Princess Bride and The Neverending Story.
I chose The Princess Bride because deep down, I'm a hopeless romantic and I really believe in true love. It's the cheesy, mushy part of me that I usually keep tucked away. Plus, the movie's got some great one-liners.
I think that The Neverending Story defines me in some way because I've always been easily sucked into the land of make-believe. As a kid, imagination kept me going through the good & bad times. That idea is at the heart of this movie.
Both movies are also about the love of reading...fantasy. Coming from a family of non-readers (my parents actually discouraged reading), the thought that it was okay to like reading and that there were people out there who shared it and enjoyed it as much as I did was liberating.
There's your post! Oh, and thanks for the recommendation for GuruLib! I already put in most of our DVD collection.

screamingamanda said...

Okay. So I haven't watched that many movies. When I do they are not incredibly meaningful movies. Which probably says enough about me. I haven't watched something and felt really moved by it. Or felt as though I could really relate to it as if it were written about me. Okay then, here's my list.
I'm going to say: 10 things I hate about you (extremely cheesy I know). I say this for the character played by Julia Stiles. The strong, confident, honest character that will tell you exactly what you are. This is the type of person I want to be. She has this hidden pain and sadness, especially about her mother. I can relate to this except I lost my mother in a differnet way.

Princess Bride: I haven't seen it in quite sometime so it is a bit fuzzy. It is one of my favorite movies. It's the sweetness, the dedication, the love, the story. It's the writer in me, I guess.

Once: I say this because of the passion. I used to feel passionate about writing like the characters in this movie feel about music. It used to make me feel really good to sit down and create something personal. It makes me sad not to feel that way anymore. We all need something to be passionate about and I am still looking for mine without much hope.

Dan in real life: I say this one for the feeling I got from it. Though my friend and sister thought it was really slow, I liked it. The way Dan interacts with his family and the emotion is what I understood.


This sad list is all I could come up with right now.