Friday, March 27, 2009

18 and life to go...

Friday night marks the beginning of my vacation and, not coincidentally, the opening of this year's Florida Film Festival--the 18th such event. As always, I dive head first into nine days of nonstop movie watching not knowing if the next screening will make me laugh, cry, think, or piss me off for wasting my time and money when I could've been watching something else. And of course, that's the best part. That, and listening to filmmakers young and old, expert and novice, talk about a movie you've just witnessed and, hopefully, loved. That, and being surrounded by genuine movie fans--those whose collective excitement about a shared love give you the adrenaline to stay up for your fifth movie of the day at midnight. That, and knowing that there are still movies out there that aren't filtered through a committee before their made or picked apart and prodded until they lose their identity.

That, and the fact I don't have to go to work for 10 days.

Stay posted for my periodic updates. See you at the movies!

http://www.floridafilmfestival.com/

6 comments:

screamingamanda said...

No one can say you're not dedicated. I am kinda jealous, that's a lot of movies.

VT said...

I miss the FFF!

Jason said...

I'll trade you FFF for Tribeca next year!

Matt Kilgore said...

i'll be attending my first film fest for real this fall, of which i'm involved at the ground level in... the sidewalk moving pictures festival.

Unknown said...

Stef Willen seemed like she was mentally retarded. I wonder if she is.

Jason said...

One of the producers was in attendance. To my recollection, he didn't mention her being mentally retarded. I do recall it being one of the best performances of the festival, though.